Hello! I am a SCAI (Societal impact through Cloud and Artificial Intelligence) Research Fellow at Microsoft Research Lab India. Prior to this, I received my Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology, Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad (IIT-ISM).
Having an insatiable curiosity for Science, especially Physics, persuaded me to choose Electrical Engineering for my under-graduation course. Since then my understanding of the field, gradually grew into admiration.
Please go over my resume to know more about me.
My current research interests lie at the intersection of Energy Systems and Technology for Emerging Markets broadly in the areas of AI/ML in power systems, smart grid optimization and reinforcement learning.
I am currently looking for opportunities to pursue research in a similar field with applications open to renewable integration to smart grids, fault diagnosis in power systems, detecting cyber attacks in critical load systems, improving battery technologies for electric vehicles, autonomous driving and safe control robotics, electric traction and climate change.
Current and Past Research Works 🔍
At Microsoft Research (MSR), I work on Project Vasudha under the guidance of Dr. Akshay Nambi and Tanuja Ganu. My research focuses on applying machine learning for optimization and control in distributed energy resources (DERs) of high-renewable power grids. Specifically, my work explores different Reinforcement Learning techniques, stochastic and traditional discrete optimization algorithms that solves the physics based constraints associated with power systems. Being a SCAI fellow, my vocation also encompasses on transitioning the research work to early-stage deployable solutions for partners of Microsoft, where I collaborate with Dr. Shivkumar Kalyanaraman’s team of Azure Energy and Mobility on the same. To know more about my works at MSR, please visit here.
My research in AI for Social Good until now has tackled various societal impact like addressing range anxiety of electric vehicles’ drivers, enhancing maritime coastal security, accurately scheduling batteries to reduce carbon footprints of consumers, benefitting energy providers by accurate scheduling of their renewable resources, detecting fault location and type in active distribution networks.
Please see here for a list of my recent publications.
What outside work 🏓 !
Outside of research, I like playing cricket, table tennis, and pool. Playing table tennis during the respite hours in the MSR office has been a pure source of enjoyment, relaxation and recharging for me to do better work. Besides this, I love painting and sketching during my leisure times. Please head over to the gallery to view some of my sketchings. I completed my 5th yr (Sr. Diploma) with Distinction in the subject of Painting and was also a part of Art Freaks Core Team at IIT-ISM. I, also had a formal training on harmonium, and completed 3rd year with first division in vocal classical music. Although not an active vocalist, I love listening to music whenever free.
Also, recently I have started writing blogs (both technical and fun) mostly describing the papers that I go through in energy domain. Please head over here, to read them. I being fairly new in writing blogs, any advice in how to improve writing would be really helpful and much appreciated.
- October 2022: EnCortex: Stochastic Optimization for Renewable Energy sources, under Patent, CELA review.
- October 2022: Machine Learning Based Adaptive Fault Diagnosis considering Hosting Capacity Amendment in Active Distribution Network, revise and resubmit in Electric Power Systems Research Journal.
- September 2022: EnCortex: A General, Extensible and Scalable Framework for Decision Management in New-age Energy Systems, under review in NSDI’23.
- August 2022: Convocation: Recipient of the Silver Medal 🥈 of IIT ISM Dhanbad for being the second rank holder of the EE batch’21 and in the top five amongst a total batch strength of 1048 students.
- July 2022: A Data Driven Fault Detection Approach with an Ensemble Classifier based Smart Meter in Modern Distribution System, under review in Sustainable Energy, Grids and Networks Journal.
- July 2022: Extending stint at Microsoft Research as SCAI Research Fellow.
- June 2022: Presenting paper titled “Reliable Energy Consumption Modeling for an Electric Vehicle Fleet”, in ACM COMPASS’22.
- April 2022: Delivering a SCAI Technical Talk on Project Vasudha, internal to Microsoft Research.
- Februray 2022: Showcasing TAB’22 demo on Project Vasudha to the TAB Committee.
- December 2021 : Delivering a TEM Talk on Smart Grid Utilities, Technology and Empowerment, internal to Microsoft Research.
- December 2021 : Acceptance Notification for “Reliable Energy Consumption Modeling for an Electric Vehicle Fleet” in ACM COMPASS’22, my first paper from MSR.
- September 2021 : Reliable Energy Consumption Modeling for an Electric Vehicle Fleet, under review in ACM COMPASS’22.
- July 2021: Joining Microsoft Research as SCAI Research Fellow.
- May 2021 : Presenting paper titled “A Deep Learning Framework for Enhancing Maritime Coastal Security” in IEEE INCET’21.
- May 2021 : Graduating from IIT ISM Dhanbad with a Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering.
- April 2021 : Acceptance Notification for Masters at University in Tromso (UiT), Norway
- April 2021 : Acceptance Notification for “Deep Learning Framework for Enhancing Maritime Coastal Security” in IEEE INCET’21.
- March 2021 : Joining Microsoft Research as a Research Intern
- February 2021 : Presenting paper titled “Renewable Energy and Demand Forecasting in an integrated Smart Grid” in IEEE IEMRE’21, my first paper.
- February 2021 : A Deep Learning Framework for Enhancing Maritime Coastal Security, under review in IEEE INCET’21.
- February 2021 : Asean Indian Hackathon’21 Global Finalist.
- November 2020 : Press: Contribution to Hurr.Ai led to nomination of Hurrey in SAP Economic Times Innovation Awards.
- September 2020 : Samsung Innovation Awards’20 Finalist
- August 2020 : Winner of Grand Finale of Smart Indian Hackathon’20.